Sunday, September 27, 2009

The long road ahead

To be honest with you, when Alyssa was born Katie and I thought she was the cutest girl to be born into this world, and we were even reassured constantly by the nurses who (though they likely tell this to all new parents) told us that our baby was the cutest of the group they had in the nursery. While birth is no cake-walk, Alyssa was relatively small and so she came out fairly unscathed. She wasn't as beat up as I remembered my younger brothers being when they came home for the first time. She has never let us down in her continuing cuteness, and I hadn't realized how grown up she now looks until I saw the following picture.

Wow, what a cutie!

Brianna on the other hand came into this world weighing practically 2 lbs more than Alyssa did, and the trip, while faster, was a little rougher on her. She was a little swollen coming out, and we later found that her collar bone was fractured along the way. Out of the gate Katie and I had the same silent opinion that she maybe wasn't as cute as Alyssa (I know, we are terrible parents). And so the comparisons begin. I am beginning to realize that this will be one of the curses of being a younger sibling. Katie and I of course are the oldest and so do not know the pressure that is put on younger siblings, especially when the elder is so perfect (as in Katie's case, not mine). To tell you the truth it is difficult to avoid comparing them, but it reminds me of Jeffrey R. Holland's talk about being careful with that, so we will have to work on it. Fortunately Katie took back her comments and now claims that Brianna looks just like Alyssa did. I disagree, but think she is just as cute (now that the swelling has gone down) in her own way. I had to pull out some old pictures and compare the two, and I think there are some similarities, but they are by no means identical. I decided to post them here for your consideration.
Now, one of these girls seems to be saying "Errrrgg DAD!". That would be the one who later learned that exact phrase from an old mission companion of mine (she now uses that phrase all too regularly, thanks a lot Pitt).

Here's a good side by side comparison, Alyssa on the left and Brianna on the right. You decide, as for me they are two of the three most adorable girls in the world!

3 comments:

Garr and Sally Van Orden said...

Wowzers, what cuties! They do look a lot alike not exactly...but pretty darn close. I guess I can say I'm rooting for Brianna as the second child to surpass Alyssa in cuteness. Us second children have to have something right? Awesome pictures and post, I found my new desktop picture.

Shawna said...

I can't believe she fractured her collar bone! That's crazy; poor thing.
And while Alyssa is quite honestly INCREDIBLY adorable, Brianna is pretty stinkin' cute too. I love that little smile! Alyssa's nose is more of a button, but they do look pretty similiar. Both very...round. :)
You two make some cute babies.

tawna said...

"2 of the 3 most adorable girls in the world"

HOW SWEET IS THAT?!?!?!

I mean...to recognize that our little girl will be that 3rd most adorable girl?? Way to Go!



(just kidding, katie. :D)