Sunday, September 6, 2009

22 Point Underdog BYU upsets No. 3 OU!

Wow, that's all I can say. Mostly because my voice is completely gone. I had the amazing opportunity to have good seats with some friends at the BYU vs OU football game in the Dallas Cowboys version of Disneyland. Let me just start by saying that before the game I looked at tons of pictures and videos of the stadium, and none of them do it justice. The place is ridiculous. The exterior, the interior, the screen. That screen (the worlds largest HD screen that stretches for over 160 feet of the field) is huge and crystal clear. Everyone there was joking "I have got to get one of those at my house". OU has a great tradition in football, and they created a great atmosphere for the game.
To be honest, I was telling myself all week that BYU was going to lose, and could lose big. I had a lot of hope that they would pull it off, but was wary from the end of last season and knew that if we did get blown out I would be sent spiraling into a football depression if I wasn't prepared. So I told myself it was possible but BYU would have to play perfect and OU would have to have an average game. I was wrong. BYU played lights out, especially on defense. The place was loud and rowdy and hanging on every play because BYU's defense stepped up and won the game, despite 3 offensive turnovers and a muffed punt.
I am still reeling from the experience and will never forget that game. I took a few pictures, more as proof that I was there than anything because like I said before, pictures don't do that place justice. We were way outnumbered as BYU fans, but the OU fans were pretty classy, even while drunk. They weren't insulting at all, but they definitely cheered hard for their team! We had a group sitting in the row behind us and they were very respectful fans. Much rowdier than your average BYU fan, but no hateful cheers or yells with the exception of the following. It seemed like every 30 seconds one of them would Yell Boomer and the rest would reply Sooners as below:
"Boomer!": "Sooners!"
"Boomer!": "Sooners!"
"Boomer!": "Sooners!"
"Texas!" : "Sucks!"
I can definitely respect a good rivalry.
Katie and Alyssa stayed home mostly because Katie didn't want to be going to the game with 2 weeks left until her due date.
Well, I may get some more pictures or comments on here after I get them from the friends that I went with, but this is it for now.

P.S. Unfortunately the pictures uploaded in reverse chronological order and my browser freezes every time I try to re-arrange them, so since I don't want to upload them again they stay as is.









1 comment:

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

That was an AMAZING game!! Go COUGARS!!