Monday, November 9, 2009

First Week of Life

Okay, so I'm finally getting around to posting this stuff. I planned what pics I was going to use and got the pics in posts, but it doesn't seem like I have two free hands much and it is hard to type with only one free hand. So sorry that this is old stuff.

Here I am 5 days late, the night before the induction. Man I look huge. I think the shirt exaggerates my roundness some, but I guess I was over 9 months pregnant.

The Labor & Delivery Story
I wanted to write down what happened in labor because otherwise I'm afraid I'll forget. I think I'm already starting to forget. Anyway, I started having contractions the morning of my induction at about 4. These were really only my second real contractions (I had had some for about an hour a few weeks before). I think my body was ready to have a baby. The nurses in L&D called me and told me that we could be there at 6:30. We arrived at the hospital pretty much right at 6:30 and they got me set up in a bed with a gown and the monitors strapped to my tummy. The nurse put an IV in and at about 8:00 she started me on pitocin. Not long after that my doctor came in and broke my water I think I was only about a 2 and a half at that point. After that I was having some good contractions and it didn't seem like I was dilating that quickly so I told the nurse I wanted an epidural. I figured I'd be in labor for quite a long time like I was with Alyssa and I didn't think I could endure the pain for that long. She said I had to wait until I was a 4. She checked me a while later and I was a 4 so she called in the anesthesiologist and I got my epidural. The nurse said the doctor was really good at giving epidurals and it should only take 2 or 3 minutes, but she took 10 to do mine. They had Jesse leave the room and I sat up. I couldn't see what she was doing, but it didn't feel very good and I kept having contractions which didn't help anything. Apparently she expected my cavity to be small because I'm a smaller person, but it was a lot deeper than she expected and so she spent a lot of time digging around in my back. I'm sure I'm not explaining that correctly, but hopefully you get the gist. About 45 minutes later the nurse checked me and I was an 8. I was like 'what' that was fast. Then a half hour after that I was ready to push. If I had known I only had a little over an hour left of labor, I'm not sure if I would have gotten the epidural. I only had to push through two contractions and she was here. And here she is below just after birth.

Just look at that beautiful blonde hair.
On the scale and not happy about it at all.

Our new little addition.
This is my brother, David, and his girlfriend, Hayley, checking out the new baby.
Daddy, Alyssa and Brianna.

Grandpa D holding the baby.

Her first bath at home given by grandma D.


Caught her smiling.

All dressed and ready. Not long after this she pooped clear through her diaper and my mom had to bathe her again.

No comments: